Thursday 27 October 2011

What to Take and What to Leave at the Chanel Counter

I've been a Chanel devotee ever since I got my make up done by them for my Year 10 Dance. My first purchase was a Glossimer and to this day, I love them so much.

But even I know when to not buy into the hype and to leave the counter empty handed (from years of experience and bad purchases). I've compiled a list of What to Buy and What to Leave at the Chanel counter, so that you're not disappointed with your next high end cosmetic investment.

These are based off my personal purchases and may not be suitable for everyone.

What To Buy:


L-R: Coco Mademoiselle Parfum, Monte Carlo Rouge Allure, Hydra-Beauty Serum, Illusion d'Ombre and Matt Lumiere

Skin Care
The amount of research and commitment it takes into producing Chanel skin care is phenomenal. I used to be a skeptic and think it was over-priced, regular creams and potions, but I couldn't be any more wrong.
I got a beauty treatment from Chanel the other week and this was my first time I've ever experienced the skin care products. What can I say... I fell in love.

Did you know: Chanel has saved the Vanilla Bean Madagascan plant from extinction. There were only 8 plants left in the wild when Chanel came in and bought one, turning that one plant into a whole crop. They ethically employ people from the Madagascan community to harvest the crops.

Foundation
Again, the technology that is involved with Chanel foundations is mind blowing. They are defiantly worth the $80 price tag- I use mine almost three times a day and it lasts for about 4 months. Totally worth it.

Lipsticks
What can I say really... the pigmentation, colour and moisture levels of Chanel lipsticks are out of this world. They really are they ultimate luxury for any woman. I mean, who doesn't love whipping out a fabulous lipstick, putting it on and feeling 1000 times more glamorous than before?

Illusion d'Ombre Eyeshadows
The texture of these shadows is SO WEIRD. It's like a spongy sea creature! These shadows DO NOT budge once applied to the eye- I'm being serious. I worked 13 hours in these babies and my shadow was looking fresh and perfect after all that time! PLUS they are shimmery without looking tacky. Really really love these.

Fragrance
Chanel fragrance is elegant, timeless and sexy- everything I look for in a fragrance. If it's good enough for Marilyn Monroe, then it's good enough for me.

What to Leave:



Nail Polish
The colours are easily dupe-able and the formula is not ground breaking. They chip at the same rate as any other polish.

Powder Eyeshadows
Apparently the formula has changed on the new shadows that are being released, but the previous ones aren't that great. They pigmentation leaves much to be desired and they fall out something chronic. They also crease after about 1.5 hours of wear without a heavy duty eye primer. Many other cosmetic houses have much nicer shadows, for a portion of the price.

Mascara
With the exception of Sublime de Chanel (it's AMAZING!), Chanel mascaras are a bit of a joke. Just don't go there.

Powder Foundation
Chanel powder foundation is nice, but not worth the $. There are a plethora of other choices available (FACE OF AUSTRALIA for example) so I recommend looking around.


I hope this is helpful to everyone. As I said before, this is what I personally have experienced- it may not be applicable for everyone.

And just fro fun, here is a look I've created with a Chanel Illusion d'Ombre "Emerveille"





What are your thoughts on purchases high-end cosmetics? Are they worth the money? Or are they just a joke? Let me know! Or do you just want my to shut up about Chanel?

Keep it Haute!

No comments:

Post a Comment